Gusting Winds, Sliding, Road Closure, & Flying J

We got up at 5:45 and 16 degrees. We decided we wouldn’t leave until totally light.

We left at 8:28. It was clear, sunny and very windy.

The wind is terrible with gust up to 70 mph. The wind has caused us to slide many times.  Once again I thank God that David is an old, Alaskan school bus driver.

It keeps saying that our next highway is closed 30 miles from Rawlins. We just keep going, no way we are turning back.  David is driving about 35 mph.  He is fighting the wind all the way.

We got to Muddy Gap Junction.  The wind was so bad there I actually thought it would blow us over.  Harrison was so scared he actually cried.  He doesn’t like the wind blowing the motorhome. David went into the gas station and the guy told him the road was open, so we headed out. 

We crossed the Continental Divide at 1:05 at a 6720 feet. A few minutes later we hit the road closer.  I am glad we weren’t in our car because we could get comfortable to wait.  We were finally on the move at 3:32. The wind and roads are not good. There was even an Amazon truck that slid off the road.

Getting out of the Continental Divide Basin we were up to 7114 feet.  We got to Rawlins at 4:20.

We stopped for gas but it wouldn’t take cards.  David forgot our gas cap there but didn’t realize until we were on I80. Soon as we got on I80 I saw a Flying J.  It was so packed we could hardly find a place for the night. We were gassed up and settled in by 6.

Harrison was so scared he ended up in our bed.  He has never done that before.

Of course, it was a very intense day for us and lots of prayers.  We only made it 218 miles.

I will add more photos when I can,  the  internet here is too weak to upload. I will do it when I can.

Thanks for stopping by.

Sagebluff RV Park Again

I woke up at 5 and it was 23 degrees and snowing.  David got up soon after me and took Harrison out.  He said there was about 4 to 6 inches of snow.  He also talked to the snowplow guy and he told us the road was only for necessary travel which we were not.  If we want to go the other way it’s worse because that one was closed.  He told us to watch the 511 that they kept it updated.

We kept watching the snow fall.  I was watching the 511 maps. At noon we decided we better stay another night here at the Sagebrush RV Park. We thought that would be the safest since we wouldn’t be traveling that far and we weren’t sure where the next RV stop was.

David and I cleaned the RV good.  We played games.  It was a relaxing afternoon.  Until David decided it would be a good idea to shovel the driveway and around the RV.  The sun is out now and it has stopped snowing.  Hopefully, we will be able to leave in the morning.

We even have icicles.

When we stayed at the Diamond A we bought some Pemmican that one of the daughters makes.  It was wonderful.  You can order it at the store.

Jerky | Bad River Jerky | Chamberlain

We highly recommend it.

Well we are hunkered down at 5 and 16 degrees.

Thanks for stopping by!